Interviews

on Wednesday, October 21, 2015
    I've been interviewed again, this time by Jasmine Walt. Here's a little bit about her before you read more about me-

I’m a devourer of books, chocolate, and all things martial arts. Somehow, those three things melded together in my head and transformed into a desire to write. Usually fantastical stuff, with a healthy dose of action and romance. My characters are a little (okay, a lot) on the snarky side, and they swear, but they mean well. Even the villains sometimes.

When I’m not working on my next book… well, honestly there’s not much else I do aside from writing because I ghostwrite as my day job. But when I’m not chained to my keyboard you can find me trying not to impale myself working on my dao sword form, raiding my dad’s pantry spending time with my family, or binge-watching Bones on Netflix.


    Jasmine and I connected on Scribophile where she was looking for writers to interview for her blog. Previously she interviewed Ashley Capes
    Back to me, here's a link to my interview where we discuss dealing with Hypergraphia and writing Powerful


   Here's a transcript of the interview-

Tell us about yourself. What got you interested in writing?

Well, I’m a super geek with a mild Dr. Pepper addiction and a high sugar tolerance. I love superheroes, Star Wars, Disney, my dog, and my husband.

I started reading at four years old, and my mom says I’ve never been without a book since. I love words and the way they elicit emotion and memories. Books have always been a huge part of my life. Which is why when I started struggling with depression, I turned to books. Then, my Hypergraphia (the overwhelming urge or compulsion to write, also the name of my blog, Twitter, and Facebook page) developed and I started a dream journal. The only problem with my dream journal was that as a vivid dreamer I could control my dreams so I ended up basically turning one dream into a novel that I shared with my friends. My English teacher caught me writing during class but instead of punishing me, she encouraged me and told me I should be a writer. And since then I have always been writing novels, usually based off dreams.


What kind of stories do you like to write?

Fantasy, action, and adventure that explore character depth. I love to create the impossible and make the imaginary real. It’s my escape. Everyone needs a little magic to help swallow reality.

What are you working on right now?

My current project is titled Powerful. I’m planning to finish it for NaNoWriMo. I’m really excited about it, and I’ve received a lot of positive feedback so far. Here’s the blurb:

When Princess Kylanore was seven, her parents were taken away by the Council of Four for attempting to overthrow the Four Kingdoms. As Crown Princess, she is sent to attend school under the Council’s watchful eye to ensure she is fit to take the throne when the time comes where she risks discovery of her extra powers and uncovers secrets buried throughout the Four Kingdoms. When Eli returns, she has to make a choice. Will she keep quiet to protect herself, or will she leave behind her comfortable life to join Eli on his renegade attempt at justice?


What is it like, writing a novel? What are the biggest challenges, and what are the most rewarding aspects?

It’s really daunting when you look at page and word counts. But it’s also very thrilling to see what you can accomplish. I think the biggest challenge for me is focusing. My mind likes to do multiple things at a time, which can sometimes mean watching TV, reading a book, and writing at the same time. But I’m not actually being productive. It takes a lot of discipline for me to actually get writing done. But it’s so rewarding for me to get feedback and see others loving my characters and their adventures as much as I do. It encourages me to focus on my writing.

Are you planning on self-publishing, or going with a traditional publisher? And why?

I’m definitely planning to at least try with traditional publishing, but I’m not opposed to self-publishing. Self-publishing is nice because you have control over everything, but it also sounds like a lot of work to me and I’d rather spend that time writing.

What advice would you give to someone who’s thinking about writing a book?

Write what you want to. There’s an audience for everything. But edit before you publish because nothing is tackier than reading a book with mistakes.

What are your future plans?

After finishing Powerful, I’m going to return to my fairy tale retelling trilogy. I started it last year, but halfway through I realized the plot was lacking so I put it aside with a bunch of ideas on what to change. Now I’m sorting through those ideas and mapping out each story.

Connect with Allie May:

blog: www.alliemayauthor.blogspot.com

Twitter : https://www.twitter.com/alliemayauthor

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alliemayauthor

    ~Allie

2 comments:

Elise said...

Nice one :)

Robin Behringer - THE PLAYLIST said...

I love the idea that your books are based off dreams! How unique 😃

Post a Comment